RRP $899 - SAVE $100
Good architecture will stand up well over time, as will good sonic architecture. Paradigm's Monitor Series 7 is a classic example. Now in its seventh iteration, each new generation is an opportunity for refinement: design innovations from their higher-priced reference lineups, reference-quality component parts, cabinets and even finishes! When it comes to getting value for your money, it doesn't get better than Monitor Series 7. Since its inception, the Monitor Series has been a favourite of audiophiles on a budget - with Series 7, that hasn't changed.
The Building Blocks: Monitor Drivers
Advanced S-Pal Satin-Anodised Pure-Aluminium Bass/Midrange Cones. First seen in the Paradigm Reference lineup, very high stiffness-to-mass ratio and outstanding internal damping. The result? Remarkable midrange clarity, superb extended bass response and freedom from unwanted resonances and distortions. In an affordable audio category - unbelieveable quality!
Advanced S-PAL Satin-Anodised Pure-Aluminium Domes with powerful neodymium magnets and ferro-fluid cooling for increased power handling! Highs are more soaring and spacious, crystal clear and undiluted even at the higher bandwidths.
Wire Mesh Tweeter Guard and WaveGuide. More Reference technology, ensuring a smooth, wide panorama of audiophile-quality sound. Wire mesh protection for the pure-aluminium tweeter.
Sophisticated crossovers in an affordable audiophile product! Again, it's almost unheard of: polypropylene film or bipolar electrolytic capacitors, air core and laminated core inductors, high-power resistors. Crossover topologies are first and second-order with corresponding acoustic slopes of second and third-order providing optimal bandwidth and seamless integration as drivers cross over.
Long-Travel Motor/Magnet Structures. Despite fewer drivers than in previous series, floorstanding and centre channel speakers actually plumb deeper. This is, in part, attributable to the advanced motor/magnet structures: high-temperature copper or aluminum wire voice coils (varies by model) wound on Kapton formers, oversized magnets with all components FEA-optimised.
Foam-Rubber Elastomer Surrounds. Reference Studio Series geometry! Help achieve that play loud AND play deep effect by allowing longer, expertly controlled cone travel.
Baffled about Baffles? Don’t Be!
For those of you who are wondering. A baffle is the surface on which the speakers or drivers are mounted. It prevents the front and rear sound waves from interfering with each other causing sound cancellation, as well as to absorb sound energy, particularly problematic reflected sound. So a speaker baffle is pretty darn important.
The new Monitor Series 7 baffle is a work of art. It boasts …
- A clean aesthetic, nothing to see but the the beautiful drivers, no screws or fasteners visible
- Thick and rigid ¾" MDF across the lineup
- FEA-optimised (including a stress analysis) to overcome the limitations of the physical materials.
- A modal frequency analysis allowed us to deliver the most resonance-, vibration- and colouration-free Monitor Series cabinet to date!
- Critically tuned to the rest of the cabinet
- Rap on the baffle … you'll hurt nothing but your knuckles!
- Design: 2-driver, 2-way bass reflex, quasi-3rd-order resistive port, bookshelf / stand-mounted
- Crossover: 2nd-order electro-acoustic at 2.0 kHz
- High-Frequency Driver: 25-mm S-PAL dome tweeter, ferro-fluid cooled and damped
- Bass / Midrange Driver: 165-mm S-PAL cone, 25-mm high-temperature voice-coil, oversize ceramic / ferrite magnets, GRIP chassis
- Low-Frequency Extension*: 42 Hz (DIN)
- Frequency Response:
- On-Axis: +/1 2 dB from 75 Hz - 22 kHz
- 30 degrees Off-Axis: +/1 2 dB from 75 Hz - 18 kHz
- Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic: 90 dB / 87 dB
- Suitable Amplifier Power Range: 15 - 100 watts
- Maximum Input Power†: 80 watts
- Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
- Height, Width, Depth: 34.3 cm x 19.4 cm x 26.5 cm
- Weight (unpacked): 7.7 kg each
- Finishes: Black Ash, Heritage Cherry
- Paradigm Stands (sold sep.): S-26, J-29
* DIN 45 500. Indicates -3 dB in a typical listening room.
† With typical program source, provided the amplifier clips no more than 10% of the time.